Can an ISP block a web site??? - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can an ISP block a web site???

Ped

Can an ISP block a web site???

As the title says can an ISP block a certain web site to a persons comp??

I'm with Orange and have never had any problems in the 4 years I've been with them but I got introduced to a torrent site at the weekend and after downloading a hd copy of The Godfather I seem to be being blocked from the site - its just a blank page when I try to load it up???

So is it possible?

Ped

I was promised a jetpack The Geoff's Avatar
    Technically? Of course. The traffic comes via them, so they can, in theory, control the traffic. I believe certain companies have done some testing with in-line ad insertion, so you get ads from ISP-X on sites without the site owner's knowledge.

More likely they've seen a lot of p2p traffic going through that site and it's in effect flood banned itself for hitting the system too hard.

Of course they could also be blocking you. The vast majority of torrent traffic is illegal. I can prove I use it for legal purposes...can you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Vinci
    Man when flying must stand free from the waist upwards so as to be able to balance himself as he does in a boat so that the centre of gravity in himself and in the machine may counterbalance each other, and be shifted as necessity demands for the changes of its centre of resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by coupey
    None of us can say that our version of kiting is more sensible than any other. ALL types of kiting are fundamentally pointless.

ped was that thepiratebay.com site?

I do not give permission for the media in any way to quote or use anything I say on this or any other forum.
    . So there!

Registered Member
    Of course the site could just be down.

Or you've got a virus in the torrent and it's screwing with your browser and/or OS.
    Man when flying must stand free from the waist upwards so as to be able to balance himself as he does in a boat so that the centre of gravity in himself and in the machine may counterbalance each other, and be shifted as necessity demands for the changes of its centre of resistance.
    None of us can say that our version of kiting is more sensible than any other. ALL types of kiting are fundamentally pointless.

Ped
    Nope it was torrentbytes.net, a private tracker site.

Doubt very much its a virus I've got, the comps just been wiped and everythings been reinstalled within the last 10 days due to it becoming a touch unstable after 4 years of use.

I thought the site might be down as well but I managed to get the home page to come up when I went through proxify.org - so bit weird????

Anyone on orange that fancies trying torrentbytes.net?? Just to double check?

Ped

I may be old and grey but Site Supporter flydad's Avatar
    I'm not on orange Ped but thought I'd try it out of nosiness :P, did see this on the log in page - "4 failed login attempts within 30 minutes will get your ip banned for 24 hours !"

Couldn't be bothered going any further though!
    W.W.W Wanting Wonderful Winds

Thou saw'est: The strong arm of a Wallace raised to stem the tide of alien tyranny.

could be your antivirus.

My AV had an update, and decided that my DL webby was a threat. had to make an exception so i could get to it.

Ped
    Aye its a very hard site to join Tom, took me half a dozen attempt just to sign up.

At least your getting to see the log in page though, its still just a blank page for me???

Just tried pinging the site there through the command prompt and its just not there for me the request just gets timed out?? Every other site is fine for me though??

Bloody weird!!

Ped???

Ped
    Ok I think it must be Orange blocking the site to my comp, I've just tried it through my work computer which is with BT and i managed to log on no problems??

Maybe time to request my mac code and move ISP??

Ped

Have you tried a different computer on your internet connection?

Also try http://213.163.70.114

Looks like the site has disabled ping requests so that is why you can't ping the site.

...the one and only.
    Or use a different isohunter... Like... Isohunt?
    Flexi Blade VIP 8.5
    Flexi Blade 6.5
    Flexi Blade 4.9
    Flexi Rage 4.7
    Flexi Sting 1.2
    Dot Matrix
    Prism 3D
    3 Flexi Stacker 6's
    Scrub Board
    and a buggy

dmb
    Backing off of the NE wind, sailing on a summer breeze ...
    Instead of pinging it, try a traceroute to it (command prompt: "tracert ipaddr" or "tracert hostname"). That'll show you if your request is getting beyond the Orange network. Won't give you the whole answer if the site at the far end drops pings, but at least you'll get a better idea of what's going on.
    BBC 4228 SEKA #59

"The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might test his superior skills."

Ped
    So looks like Orange have blocked this site from my comp........

I tried going straight through the IP address but still just get a blank page + I tried the command promt tracert but it just get timed out on all attempt???

Surely Orange should of notified me by email or letter before they did this no??

Ped

ps I tried accessing the site on my phone throu the wireless but still no joy

If you've downloaded anything illegally they don't have to tell you anything. They can cut you off entirely, from every website, and demand the rest of your contractural obligation up front (eg 15/month x 12 months, payable in 7 days). In fact, not only can, but have to if they want to avoid being done for aiding and abetting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast