How do Colour changing candles work? - Kitecrowd Kite Forum

Thread: How do Colour changing candles work?

How do Colour changing candles work?

If you have seen these candles they are amazing, I can't understand how they work. There seems to be a bit of fiber optic cable running the side of the wick but that doesn't translate to how it changes coulour from a single non changing light source. There is no battery or power of any sort I'm aware of. I dot get it, nobody at work does and a few others just don't get it, there's nothing really on the net that I found that is a definitive answer.... Just that it's god.

I'll post a vid I took to show if you haven't seen them. Amazing though, 3 at supermarkets at the moment too...

that's got to be electrical, not chemical. the light changes in a cycle, which would be extremely hard and expensive to create by mixing other chemicals into the wax, which was my first thought on reading the thread title. Might be something to do with using the heat from the candle as energy for the fibre optic cable running next to the wick.

On second thoughts...
    Let me google that for you
    In the Kite bag...
    Ion2 12.5
    Ion2 8.5
    Trampa, scrub bindings and trucks, Trampa hubs and primo alphas
    Naish Thorn 131x38 2007
    Hadlow Prolimit waist harness 2010
    Mystic Aviator seat harness
    Pads and a lid

by the look of the colours and the fact you say theres not battery but i cable next to the wick ? well i suspect that the cable isnt fibre optic and contain certain metals such as sodium which burns a dark yellow. the amazingly bright green if probably the off put of the copper compound maybe a copper oxide. or boron. the purple would be a potassium compound. the blue could be lead but dont know if the will of put that in there so my guess is a copper (I) compound. the would be a very small amout of this metals probably with something on them to stop them burning out soo fast and it would be made up of layers so would go through i cycle.
    8 gk sonic
    11 Rev 2
    mmm a kite board
    other bits of kit

Manufacturer's Description
    This truly is a remarkable candle. When lit, it gently changes colours, creating a smooth ambience in any room or location. It is also a real wax candle that burns for 20 hours and weighs 300g.
    Magic candle adopts modern microelectronic technology. It contains an optical fibre alongside the wick, which senses the light of the flame, and activated the colour bulbs. Once lit, it begins to create a fascinating display of continually changing light from cool blues, lilacs, greens, warm oranges and vibrant reds.

Product Description
    Hey, like, man. This waxy candle is like, so, groovy. The colours, man, they shift and glow as the candle burns. Smoke spirals off into infinity and, it's like, you know, for just one perfect moment, the whole of creation is in union. Dude. Fear not, gadget shoppers. We have not taken leave of our senses, merely getting into the mood engendered by the not inconsiderably clever Magic Candle. A real wax candle so magic it appears to change colour as it burns. Outwardly, it looks like a real candle. Inwardly, it performs like a real candle. But deep inside, the magic of LED technology is set to work, generating a fascinating and absorbing display of ever-changing light that seems never to repeat across the candle's 20 hour burning time. Here's how it works: a strand of optical fibre alongside the wick senses the light of the flame and activates a set of colour LEDs at the candle's base. Once ignited, the candle then creates a truly fascinating display of continually shifting coloured light, from chilled-out blues to fiery reds... and almost every shade in between. If it's magical ambience one is after, then get Magic Candle. A Barry White album. An M&S meal for two. And a squeaky leather sofa. Then the rest is down to you. Man.
    Drag 'n Fly Not Dragonfly! ><

@williamjames555, see my post. that was my first thought on reading the title, but those chemical compounds/elements don't usually emit a soft light like that. The light they release is down to a combustion reaction, which as the name suggests, isnt particually soft...
    if you were to try to create this style of light with chemicals, you'd have to try something along the lines of glow-sticks. mixing two chemicals together, which produce light as they react slower, rather than extremely quickly (as in a combustion reaction).
    In the Kite bag...
    Ion2 12.5
    Ion2 8.5
    Trampa, scrub bindings and trucks, Trampa hubs and primo alphas
    Naish Thorn 131x38 2007
    Hadlow Prolimit waist harness 2010
    Mystic Aviator seat harness
    Pads and a lid

I had one a few years back.

It was taken apart when it stopped working/we'd had enough of it. There was a battery and LED(s) in the base of the candle, it was either a colour changing LED or a cluster of more than one colour, can't recall now, plus a tiny chip. There was something running up the wick that sensed when the candle was lit.
    I'VE GOT A LITTLE BLACK BOOK WITH ME POEMS IN!

It's nothing, not nothink.
    It's could/should have, not could/should of.
    "You're" is the contraction of "you are", the word "your" denotes possession and is completely different.

If English is supposed to be your first language, please try at least to get these few right.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Kiter View Post
    @williamjames555, see my post. that was my first thought on reading the title, but those chemical compounds/elements don't usually emit a soft light like that. The light they release is down to a combustion reaction, which as the name suggests, isnt particually soft...
    if you were to try to create this style of light with chemicals, you'd have to try something along the lines of glow-sticks. mixing two chemicals together, which produce light as they react slower, rather than extremely quickly (as in a combustion reaction).

yh i was thinking its abit extreme for a simple product guess fibre optics make more sense now hah
    8 gk sonic
    11 Rev 2
    mmm a kite board
    other bits of kit