Height limit is ? - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Height limit is ?

ady

Height limit is ?

Drove past park near my house this morning and saw a geezer flying a 1.5m kite on a single line with 300mts of line on a hozelock reel. He said he has had over 200mts of line fed out so far. is that legal??
    nice chap if not a little mad.

Boarderline Rider & Media Cyprino's Avatar
    Not legal as far as I'm aware! Not sure what the actual height limit is, but 200m is definitely well over it!

Click to see my stuff on:
    flickr
    | facebook

Fun to watch though!

Scrub, HQ & ATB shop team wenglish's Avatar
    the kite unless sat directly above teh flyer is not going to be the legnth of line fed out as it forms a triangle with the line being the hypotenuse. you can work out roughly how high the kite is flying by working it out.

Legal max height for a kite is 60 meters from teh gournd after that you need permision from The Civil Aviation Authority which they have granted in the past.

KITE FLYING LEGISLATION
    Civil Aviation legislation applicable to kite flying is contained in the Rules of the Air Regulations and the The Air Navigation Order). These are amended from time to time but for the purposes of these documents kites are classified as aircraft.

The relevant parts of the above in relation to kites state that:-

Article97 (3) (d)
    A kite shall not be flown at a height of more than 30 metres above ground level within the aerodrome traffic zone of a notified aerodrome during the notified operating hours of that aerodrome. [Although it is generally accepted that for safety reasons you should not fly within 5km of any aerodrome].

Article 97 (3) (e)
    A kite shall not be flown at a height of more than 60 metres above ground level.

Rule 52 Captive Balloons and Kites at Night
    A kite while flying at night at a height exceeding 60 metres above the surface shall display lights as follows:

(1) A captive balloon or kite flying at night at a height exceeding 60 metres above the surface shall display lights in accordance with paragraphs (2), (3) and (4).
    (2) A group of two steady lights shall be displayed consisting of a white light placed 4 metres above a red light, both being of at least five candela and showing in all directions, the white light being placed not less than 5 metres nor more than 10 metres below the basket or, if there is no basket, below the lowest part of the balloon or kite.
    (3) On the mooring cable of the balloon or kite, at intervals of not more than 300 metres measured from the group of lights specified in paragraph (2), there shall be displayed—
    (a) groups of two lights of the colour and power and in the relative positions specified in paragraph (2); and
    (b) if the lowest group of lights is obscured by cloud, an additional group of such lights below the cloud base.
    (4) On the surface of the ground there shall be displayed a group of three flashing lights arranged—
    (a) in a horizontal plane at the apexes of a triangle, approximately equilateral, each side of which measures at least 25 metres;
    (b) so that one side of the triangle shall be approximately at right angles to the horizontal projection of the cable and shall be delimited by two red lights; and
    (c) so that the third light shall be a green light, placed so that the triangle encloses the object on the surface to which the balloon or kite is moored.

Rule 53 Captive Balloons and Kites by Day

53.—(1) A captive balloon flying by day at a height exceeding 60 metres above the surface shall have attached to its mooring cable tubular streamers which are—
    (a) not less than 40 centimetres in diameter and 2 metres in length; and
    (b) marked with alternate bands of red and white 50 centimetres wide at intervals of not more than 200 metres measured from the basket or, if there is no basket, from the lowest part of the balloon.
    (2) A kite flying by day at a height exceeding 60 metres above the surface shall have attached to its mooring cable either:
    (a) tubular streamers as specified in paragraph (1); or
    (b) at intervals of not more than 100 metres measured from the lowest part of the kite, streamers not less than 80 centimetres long and 30 centimetres wide at their widest point, marked with alternate bands of red and white 10 centimetres wide.

The above is an extract from the full regulations. For further details of the Act above look at the The UK Civil Aviation Authority. For permission to exceed the limits stated above you are required to complete an application form. Details from

Airspace Utilisation Section
    Directorate of Airspace Policy
    Civil Aviation Authority
    K1
    45-59 Kingsway
    London WC2B 6TE
    Direct Dial: 020 7453 6599 or 6585
    Fax: 020 7453 6593
    My ambition is to live for ever!
    So far, so good!

hey wenglish bored with the family down were you ??

2oo feet above ground level . would have done nicely !!!
    ALL THE BEST.....
    FESTA

PIRATES OF THE ABERREAN

my obe.>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyai0RMDXp4
    http://www.thekiteco.com/
    CKS forum
    I hope its not to big !
    moderator: "it's rather big"ok i'll leavit as it is then

Scrub, HQ & ATB shop team wenglish's Avatar
    lol no, i just rememberd seeing it at somepoint when i was trying to find out myself. turns out google had the answer lol
    My ambition is to live for ever!
    So far, so good!

My Man Carl,Jaynes bro in law has a single line reel with 2,000ish metres of dyneema on it,released a kite way out over Bridlington beach a few weeks ago,until you could barely see it,at least 1,500 metres out,and it was very cool,his missus helped him reel it in,a bit at a time,twas a good day out indeed.

Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiner View Post
    My Man Carl,Jaynes bro in law has a single line reel with 2,000ish metres of dyneema on it,released a kite way out over Bridlington beach a few weeks ago,until you could barely see it,at least 1,500 metres out,and it was very cool,his missus helped him reel it in,a bit at a time,twas a good day out indeed.
    Jeez! If you did that round here you'd have military police crawling all over you!
    PKD Buster 2.0 + 3.0m
    Hq Beamer IV 5.0m
    Hq Apex 10.0m FOR SALE
    Carbon De-x board
    MBS Core 8 ( my boys')

yup but how high did the kite get???
    ALL THE BEST.....
    FESTA

PIRATES OF THE ABERREAN

CKS forum
    I hope its not to big !

Registered Member
    haha we used to put single line chute type kites on fishin rods when i was like 10 campin in anglesey lol they went silly far away i wouldnt trust my depth perception if there were pylons n such tho lol
    Being a well respected stoner in the community I think I can speak for the general populus when I say that rolling paper manufacturers will never get it right.....................................

They're always cutting corners

The Bag :-

06 North Vegas 10m
    Peter Lynn Venom2 13m
    F-One Bandit3 10m
    Peter Lynn Arc 840
    Flexifoil Aaron Hadlow 130

lol i have a friend "uhum" who flew a kite on 600m of 60lb fishingline at shell island, you couldnt see the kite with the naked eye, a digital photo on full zoom then viewed on a laptop did show 4 coloured pixels in the sky

Can you tell where it is yet?
    Tornado2, Access2 4m, 6m, 8m, 10m, Manta 15m, Venom2 13m, Rage 1.8m and lots of sky tinsel single line kites

festa has a point. depending on the power of the kite it would have struggled to get much height with the weight of the dyneema line. we used to have those one line kites on a fishing reel. used to get them in and out in no time....
    8.5 ion iii
    12,5 ion iii
    CKB
    shinn pro 130 *39.5
    dakine tabu

Quote Originally Posted by troy View Post
    festa has a point. depending on the power of the kite it would have struggled to get much height with the weight of the dyneema line. we used to have those one line kites on a fishing reel. used to get them in and out in no time....
    Spot on Troy,the kite was only about 1'000 metres above the sea,if Carl had used lighter line,it would have gone higher,the line was bowed all the way out,but when it started to dip,he'd pull to get height back,good to watch,man and kite in perfect harmony,mind you,he started on the beach with the tide coming in,trying to launch against the seawall,then having dumped it in the sea twice,(and we aren't talking quick ish dry Porcher marine material here),he moved about 400 feet up the hill and relaunched successfully,having found a better launch point and got her into the sky,he walked back down to us and paid out some more line,whilst the kite flied n dried,wind was 15 to 20 mph offshore,i shall be getting him something lighter so we can get all that line off out there,yes indeed,he has other kites,but needs something sexier.

I have bought some proper kites for this purpose, a couple of 9 foot deltas and a 7 foot rokoku
    these in the right wind fly almost over the launch point !
    and for the hell of it a few tribox boxkites
    the real ball ache is winding in 500 to 1000m of line, i did think of using a bike wheel with the tyre off

Can you tell where it is yet?
    Tornado2, Access2 4m, 6m, 8m, 10m, Manta 15m, Venom2 13m, Rage 1.8m and lots of sky tinsel single line kites

fishing braid and a good big multiplier reel

something like this one would do the trick as it takes 750 yards of 80lb mono and braid is allot thinner

Maxximus 14/0 Lever Drag Deep Sea Reel

not cheap though
    ALL THE BEST.....
    FESTA

PIRATES OF THE ABERREAN

CKS forum
    I hope its not to big !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast