Recommendation on an helmet - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on an helmet

From personal experience, get the best quality & safest lid you can afford. We both use motocross lid (Airoh S4 & Fox V1 undertow). both of them have the peaks removed to stop catching lines on them .

Quote Originally Posted by Robocourier View Post
    Not convinced about the motox helmet for speed. Found out, to my detriment last weekend, that the peak and open face helps to try and lift it off your head at higher speeds. Mind you, I was hitting 50mph. a full face motorcycle helmet or Ruroc style one would logically be better. And one that fits snugly. Just my opinion.
    Are you sure it is the correct size for you? As motocross lids are designed for higher speeds than 50mph & should not be being pulled off.

moderator Kitecrowd Helper lunaloco's Avatar
    Short note on the RuRoc helmets. The front panel has not been crash tested, so it's merely there for looks and protection against sand, water, wind, sun, etc.

Recently added to the bag: 5.5m & 6.5m PKD Century

FOR SALE: 12m Flexifoil Firestorm k/o, never used 16m RRD Type HiR RTF. PM your offer.

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    morale of the story. don't piss with the wind over 30 knots!
    I do not give permission for the media in any way to quote either in full or partial, from any comment, from this forum without prior written permission.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaloco View Post
    Short note on the RuRoc helmets. The front panel has not been crash tested, so it's merely there for looks and protection against sand, water, wind, sun, etc.
    I crash tested mine during a particularly nasty OBE. It didn't break but I admit that I got a black eye. The rest of my body came off worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand-Yeti View Post
    I crash tested mine during a particularly nasty OBE. It didn't break but I admit that I got a black eye. The rest of my body came off worse.
    Good to know the survived the crash. I meant no official testing
    The black eye must have been from the goggles?

FOR SALE: 12m Flexifoil Firestorm k/o, never used 16m RRD Type HiR RTF. PM your offer.

flickr

I do not give permission for the media in any way to quote either in full or partial, from any comment, from this forum without prior written permission.

Timmy the turtle has crash tested the front panel to destruction with his face. He face planted after flipping his buggy after landing incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by avspider View Post
    Timmy the turtle has crash tested the front panel to destruction with his face. He face planted after flipping his buggy after landing incorrectly.
    Good to hear. I just wrote what Dan from RuRoc told me when I enquired about the "crash proof-ness" (I just made that word up) of the front panel.

flickr

I seem to remember there was a not so nice picture of timmys face after his faceplant in his ruroc
    cant knock the style though

Can you tell where it is yet?
    Tornado2, Access2 4m, 6m, 8m, 10m, Manta 15m, Venom2 13m, Rage 1.8m and lots of sky tinsel single line kites

all the gear, SOME IDEA ! buggy-dude's Avatar
    i use an osbe rufus which is full face or open face, you get the best of both worlds
    Last edited by buggy-dude; 8th May 2012 at 21:22.
    8/10/12/15 Manta
    6/8 access xc
    8.5 bomba
    T3/GT custom buggy

Built in rear view system may be useful !! No need to look behind you going into a mark ...

Reevu - Sports & Leisure Helmets
    PTW Cougar II buggy
    Ozone Method 3m,4m,5m & 6.5m
    Ozone Access XT 6m, 8m & 10m
    Ozone Samurai II 3m
    Ozone Imp II 1.5m
    Peter Lynn Reactor (III) : 2.2m, 2.8m, 3.5m, 4.4m, 5.5m 6.9m, 8.6m (burst) & 10.8m

Good to know the survived the crash. I meant no official testing
    The black eye must have been from the goggles?
    Yes you are probably right. I can't confirm it because it happened so quickly & I took such a smack when I hit the ground that it was only when I looked in the mirror later that I noticed my shiner.

Pic

Some downhill MTB helmets may be as good as motorbike helmets, but there is no official test for them to prove it, which is kind of a shame but means I will always use a motorbike helmet with ACCU gold standard.

The visor on a motocross helmet will obscure your view of the kite, catch lines and maybe catch the wind (or sand when you crash) trying to pull your head off your neck, so most of us remove the visor - check that the visor is bolt on and not moulded in.

To do it's job properly (and some people believe that they don't need the job done properly when just buggying) a motorbike helmet needs to fit correctly, which is actually pretty tight feeling if you aren't used to them. Unless you are buying a replacement helmet of the same type from the same manufacturer, it is really important to go to a bike or MX shop and try on helmets with the advice of the staff who are trained to verify that you don't have too much movement in the helmet. The ruthless amongst you will I'm sure abuse their local MX shops and after going to choose a helmet go away to think about it and then buy the size they need from internet, but I would say generally speaking, you are better off just using your local shop and steering clear of internet helmets. Even when the seller is a reputable bike shop selling new stock, the helmet has to travel to you through the british parcel breaking system - the one which delivers worthless fragile tat intact, but always destroys anything of value no matter how robustly it is packaged....

For me an MX helmet with goggles suits me (I use Scott 87 OTG goggles as a permanent wearer of glasses - deeper frames so don't press your glasses into your face), others are using road helmets with visors, it's just a personal preference. I have never worn earplugs, true there is wind noise and kite lines whistling but we are missing one source of noise which you find on a motorcycle at speed, a high revving combustion engine..... Of course I already had mild tinnitus (which has got no worse) so don't let me talk anyone out of earplugs, it is worth protecting your hearing when you have the chance. In racing we occasionally need to shout to each other so wearing ear plugs wold make that more difficult, as it is getting the attention of someone in a full face helmet is difficult enough!
    I guess some peoples faces won't suit goggles, but don't forget there are lots of different brands out there - I like Scott because any 80 series lens will fit any 80 series frame and they are pretty quick and easy to change. I normally race in grey tinted polarising prescription sunnies with a yellow tinted lens in the goggles to brighten things back up a bit, but if want a change I have clear lenses, anti-fog lenses, darker lenses, tear off lenses, roll off lenses..... Roll offs and sand don't play well, the sand sticks to the film meaning the takeup drum fills too quick - I once broke a pull cord due to this, I have also blown the door off but luckily I was stationary at the time so didn't have film trailing out behind me as I went along
    I have never got on with full visors, I find I end up steaming up my prescription glasses, if not the visor itself - this will vary depending on how well vented the helmet is.

Registered Member stuart_mackay's Avatar
    I spent a few years using a bern lid. but as I progressed I was becoming more critical of what would happen when the shit hit the fan.
    I now have a 661 fenix which is also snell tested so is very good as before said dh helmets are only tested like bike helmets so arnt very good

2010/11 best newcomer
    2010/11 top junior

I eventually bought a skyrunner carbon optic paragliding helmet with optional clear visor so I can remove it if need to be. Justwaiting for it.
    cost 185.00 and visor 36.00

aka carlos fandango popeyethewelder's Avatar
    I went for the Icaro 4fight cut Helmet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast