Recommendation on an helmet - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on an helmet

Recommendation on an helmet

Trying to find a good helmet for buggying at speed. I was looking around and can decide which one. Any recommendation would be appreciated.
    I have seen some paraglider one : any good?

Registered Member
    I use a gmc full face from time to time got it from argos but tbh any motox helmet would be better plenty on ebay

RS BUGGY/MBS CORE BOARD /SCRUB FC2 BOARD/ 5M FLUX / 5M OZONE FRENZY / 7M BLAZE II / 10M VENOM II/16M VENOM

Not convinced about the motox helmet for speed. Found out, to my detriment last weekend, that the peak and open face helps to try and lift it off your head at higher speeds. Mind you, I was hitting 50mph. a full face motorcycle helmet or Ruroc style one would logically be better. And one that fits snugly. Just my opinion.

I wear a fullface motocross helmet and feel really secure in it. Bought a large when I could have gotten away with an XL. Now it has shrunk to fit perfectly. I got a "Fly" brand and it wasn't expensive on sale.

Coastal Wind Sports Team rider
    HQ, Peter Lynn,
    Landsegler Ultralight wheels
    PTW Hero
    XXTreme Apexx
    Libre Hardcore

Are you still selling helmets Carl?

I boughta Ruroc helmet from PTW and besides protecting my bonce provides good prtection against sunburn. The goggles also seal very well and have never had a problem with sand or dust getting in my eyes.

Registered Member
    Would love a ruroc but as always the wife would go spare and I know you only get 1 head but she will say there are other cheaper helmets.

RS BUGGY/MBS CORE BOARD /SCRUB FC2 BOARD/ 5M FLUX / 5M OZONE FRENZY / 7M BLAZE II / 10M VENOM II/16M VENOM

thanks a lot for the answer. I got told to prefer goggle to visor as that true

simple, go to ebay and buy a full face helmet for motorcycles or motorcross and make sure it is ACU gold standard and passed the new sharp test. if it has passed as fit for road use at 70+mph it will suit buggying. bmx and cycle helmets are a waste of time, go and look up the testing procedure for bicycle helmets, it will frighten you how crap they are

Oh goggles are easy to use and you can change lenses or use tear offs, Oakley seem to be the best choice, thats why people use motorx helmets as they work well with goggles

I personaly use oakley O frame with a carbonfibre motorx helmet (nice n lite)

look here and here
    Last edited by Nick; 2nd May 2012 at 17:24.

Can you tell where it is yet?
    Tornado2, Access2 4m, 6m, 8m, 10m, Manta 15m, Venom2 13m, Rage 1.8m and lots of sky tinsel single line kites

Agree with nick.

I use a motorbike helmet rated for track use when it's nuking and I'm going ball to the wall and an open face moto trials helmet when the winds sedate and the suns shining.

SPKA SCO777
    i use a 661 downhill helmet and oakley crowbar goggles with the tearoffs, would recommend tearoffs, new lens everytime you need
    Ozone Flow 2m
    Ozone Flow 5m
    Flexifoil sabre II 5m
    Pansh Flux 3m and 6m
    predator 1.8m 2.2m 3.4m 8m
    Rhombus firebee 8.5m
    Pansh Sprint 2.2m - 12.5m in red
    Ion B2 board shorts and harness

radsail pro buggy with buggy bag man seat
    chameleon with tornado forks and buggybag seat

Registered Member kitebuggybagman's Avatar
    motor cycle hemets do fine, 50-60 quid, would stay away from 2nd hand ones just in case

Motorcycle helmets with a visor give a good all round view. I find goggles restrictive plus I don't like the pressure they put on the bridge of my nose when wearing them with a helmet, (maybe my face is a strange shape!!) However, my regular combination is a motox helmet with a peak, to keep the sun out of my eyes, plus ski sunglasses with high impact lenses. That way I can swap between Cat 3 or Cat 4 glasses with ease and remove them easily to clean. You can get the really dark, non road legal, visors for helmets but have the hassle of swapping if you need a lighter tint.

Just a small point, as the OP was for buggying at speed: use earplugs, bearing in mind that to get speed you need wind, which will create a lot of wind noise. As an ex-despatch rider, if you're going for speed on a regular basis, I recommend you use them or your ears will ring. Permanently.

aka carlos fandango popeyethewelder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand-Yeti View Post
    Are you still selling helmets Carl?

I boughta Ruroc helmet from PTW and besides protecting my bonce provides good prtection against sunburn. The goggles also seal very well and have never had a problem with sand or dust getting in my eyes.
    The simple answer Dave is no, I had a great relationship with the original owner Rob, then he got bought out and pushed out, he lost everything in the end including his marraige and his house, after that the company had no interest in sponsoring kite buggying, which was a shame. I still wear mine, and I have never had a problem with it, but I would never buy anything from RuRoC out of respect for Rob

I have a couple of small ones left I believe, I keep meaning to put them on ebay, but never get round to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast