Top hat vid - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top hat vid

Sticky...REALLY!!! are the mods smoking crack?

Quote Originally Posted by g3legacy View Post
    Don't you think its funny that this is the first video in the video section now? Those poor newbies will come on here and be scared to fly anything lol
    I don't know. It was coming across this video that inspired me to buy a kite in the first place.
    Now how do I get a 200ft pendulum out of a 3M Beamer

Newbie...
    That's awesome. I'm a newbie - off to find me a thermal...!

sick lol thats what u call air time

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh. take this shit of sticky mr mod. newbs actualy think this is real.

I am a leaf on the wind. Brand Rep harry_a's Avatar
    ITS A FAKE

8 and 12m diablos
    LF Mission 138+ Ronix Scouts
    zen 129, 5"11 strapless

Quote Originally Posted by harry_a View Post
    ITS A FAKE
    totally, i mean you can so see its a lego man only noobies think its real, but we all know the truth

brad.mace@live.co.uk
    add me

discalimer!
    Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

so far i've received a citation for public indecency got sued n got sexually harassed by a member of the same sex all in one comment.

I am a leaf on the wind. Brand Rep harry_a's Avatar
    all i know is that that guy must have hooj balls

8 and 12m diablos
    LF Mission 138+ Ronix Scouts
    zen 129, 5"11 strapless

New Registered Member
    Always a classic vid.

now thats wat you call hang time
    8 gk sonic
    11 Rev 2
    mmm a kite board
    other bits of kit

Registered Member
    In all seriousness, this is the nightmare scenario that I (and surely others) have at the back of their mind, when out with a large kite in decent winds !!?

At the end of the day, we are just a little weight, on the end of a few lines, with a canopy above us that at any time is practically seconds away from being plucked into the sky by a freak gust of wind !

Quote Originally Posted by Screaming_Lines View Post
    In all seriousness, this is the nightmare scenario that I (and surely others) have at the back of their mind, when out with a large kite in decent winds !!?

At the end of the day, we are just a little weight, on the end of a few lines, with a canopy above us that at any time is practically seconds away from being plucked into the sky by a freak gust of wind !
    Have had just that happen a few times in the last few weeks, but at the White Horse we tend to get used to it.

OK we dont go anywhere near as high as in the top hat video but we do get loftings to around 20ft, which when you are aiming for about 10, comes as a big surprise. Its really not as bad as you think though. You can move the kite back and forth over your head and generally float yourself back down to earth without any hitches.

What is by far in a way much worse, is when you get said lofting, then the wind suddenly drops you!! Now that is when there is little to nothing you can do to get the float back. You tend to come down to earth with a bit of a bang. I had it happen again yesterday from about 6ft, luckily not too high, but it still hurts a tad.

All you can do is be sure you are using the right size kite for your weight, skill, and wind conditions and like us accept that shit will, and does, happen sometimes. If it looks like mother nature is in a bad mood dont fly innit

Its powerkiting! You WILL get hurt now and then.
    Don't let the fear of falling keep you from knowing the joy of flight!

Registered Member
    Very nice feedback Zippy. What kites are you flying, when getting lofted to 20ft ? Are these LEI's ?

Just looking over YouTube and there are countless short clips of individuals being lofted by freak winds to "silly" heights on standard fixed bridle foils that you usually only associate with 4 to 5 feet pendulum jumps max! Also in these circumstances as you indicate, a lull following the gust, often means a fast descent, as the kite collapses and doesnt suitably support your weight on the way down...

As you also state, ensuring you fly in suitable winds, with the right kite for the conditions plus for your skill level hopefully helps reduce the risk of incidents. But I've been there on more than a handful of times, where I feel the Kite is flying ME, and Im not so much flying the Kite (definately then its time to pack up!).

moderator Kitecrowd Helper lunaloco's Avatar
    Just looking over YouTube and there are countless short clips of individuals being lofted by freak winds to "silly" heights on standard fixed bridle foils that you usually only associate with 4 to 5 feet pendulum jumps max! Also in these circumstances as you indicate, a lull following the gust, often means a fast descent, as the kite collapses and doesnt suitably support your weight on the way down...
    All depends on the size of the fixed bridle kite you're flying .. I'm sure you can get more than 4-5 ft. with an 8.5m Blade for instance

Recently added to the bag: 5.5m & 6.5m PKD Century

FOR SALE: 12m Flexifoil Firestorm k/o, never used 16m RRD Type HiR RTF. PM your offer.

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    morale of the story. don't piss with the wind over 30 knots!
    I do not give permission for the media in any way to quote either in full or partial, from any comment, from this forum without prior written permission.

Very nice feedback Zippy. What kites are you flying, when getting lofted to 20ft ? Are these LEI's ?

As you also state, ensuring you fly in suitable winds, with the right kite for the conditions plus for your skill level hopefully helps reduce the risk of incidents. But I've been there on more than a handful of times, where I feel the Kite is flying ME, and Im not so much flying the Kite (definately then its time to pack up!).
    I am refering to when I am flying on land and thats when I fly my 11m Frenzy. If I was on the water then it would be my Sport+'s but the winds arnt nearly as vicious at the sea.

I will happily fly my 11m FYX in near 30mph winds but she does take some keeping down when flying her in it. 10-20ft jumps become effortless at this point!! Luckily there is a lot of depower to rely on when I fly her.

This last week the winds we have been flying in have been quite nasty. 10-12ish gusting to 30+. Obviously not nice but like I said we get used to it. Loftings there are plentiful

When the kite 'flies me' as you put it, I have to pack up as well. Generally we dont do too bad though. The Horse is good in almost every direction of wind, provided you can handle the gusts!! But sometimes its better to live to fly another day!

Common sense is the key, everyone knows what winds are safe to fly in. If they dont then they soon find out and dont do it again
    Don't let the fear of falling keep you from knowing the joy of flight!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast