Top hat vid - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top hat vid

New Registered Member
    holy cr@p

Dunno what's wrong with my 11 metre FYX then I don't get much depower at all, wouldn't dream of using it in 30 mph!
    Cabrinha Switchblade 2010 14m, Cabrinha Switchblade 2012 10m, Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 7m, Ozone Frenzy FYX 2009 11m, Ozone Access 2010 8.5m, Naish Torch 2005 20m!!!!, MBS Comp 95 2010, Cabrinha Caliber 2011

Quote Originally Posted by russ_kent View Post
    Dunno what's wrong with my 11 metre FYX then I don't get much depower at all, wouldn't dream of using it in 30 mph!
    LOL 30mph constant is not a real problem for me as I have now found out. 30 gusts I can and do fly at full power. I went above that this Sunday. I truly found my limit on the ole girl. Wind was going down to 20ish averaging 30ish and hitting 40ish. I launched and went like a bat out of hell! I have had fast launches but this was FAST!

Statically a slight step, and pull the bar in and I was up to 10+ft and floating like I have never floated on a kite. On the board I was very tentative to send it. The tiny sendings I did meant that the jumps were stupidly easy, very big and amazingly floaty.

I had about half a dozen runs across the field and back with some unintentional loftings. I had the depower trimmed in about half way at the time. I managed to hold her down and deal with all mother nature threw at me but didnt feel comfortable at all so packed her down after 10-15 mins.

The biggest worry to me and the BIG thing that was beyond my control was this, there was no way I could pull the brake strap in as the power was so much. So like anyone else would do, I pulled the top hat safety and let the kite do its thing. This was going ok for all of 1-2 seconds. After that the kite reversed itself and cupped the wind like a sail. That pulled me beyond my control half way across the field (It never did that when I was flying it!). I had to get a couple of friends to run and grab me and the kite. It was a scary moment for sure.

If there is one thing I wish Ozone would sort out is this problem. I had it on my 05 10m once and its not good. the only other option I had was to release the kite and I didnt want to do that obviously as things were not at the point I needed too, but it was heading that way.

I know it may sound like bull but I was out Saturday and the winds were hitting 30 easily, there were plenty of respected fliers who saw me fly it and I didnt have any trim applied what so ever then. They were even pushing me backwards and boosting me 10ft+ with easy and letting me float for a long while after.

Sunday was different and I had to apply trim. I am 15st and can hold down a lot of power, same as I do on the water. Its like I go a size bigger than everyone else. If I had a 9m FYX on Sunday I would of been having a ball, but the 11m was right on its limit and possibly just over it for what I can handle but I now know her limit and mine. It has took me a good year to find it but at least now I know what it is.

25mph is probably what I like her in the most (effortless flying and big ass jumps with ooodles of float), 30 is ok but I am weary, 30+ and it becomes a real handful. this I am really not happy with as the safety doesnt do what it should, or what I would like it too. I will give Chris Hill a call and let him know about this! I want to know what his thoughts are and what he can do about it.
    Don't let the fear of falling keep you from knowing the joy of flight!

yes ozone needs to design a single line flat out for stupid days. i have the same issue trying to land my 10m manta in 25 knot + wind. its just down right crazy.

ps in a rescent trip to the french alps on a mountain bike trip i watched a paraglider on a thermal wanging up into the sky at a faster rate than the top hat vid. so if you think it cant happen then your kidding yourself. you do need to have the ride conditions present themselves and the chances that will happen on the beach are very remote. when flying hills i'd say a lofting like that is entirely possible.
    In my bag of kite toys.
    12m Chrono
    13m edge
    10m cedge
    8m catalyst
    6m reo light

Plummet carbon Serpent landboard Granny tyres
    Plummet carbon mutant, coffin line light wind kiteboard,

"I had about half a dozen runs across the field and back with some unintentional loftings. I had the depower trimmed in about half way at the time. I managed to hold her down and deal with all mother nature threw at me but didnt feel comfortable at all so packed her down after 10-15 mins. "

Haha - that's why at 30 mph I'd bottle it and get my 8.5 Access out. Or if it was really gusty even fly my Rage on handles. Big floaty jumps are great, unintentional loftings worry me a bit :-)
    Cabrinha Switchblade 2010 14m, Cabrinha Switchblade 2012 10m, Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 7m, Ozone Frenzy FYX 2009 11m, Ozone Access 2010 8.5m, Naish Torch 2005 20m!!!!, MBS Comp 95 2010, Cabrinha Caliber 2011

Just spoke to Chris and he tells me he is no longer the distributor for Ozone so cant really help. He did however give me a contact that I can email my problem too.

Chris also finds the same thing as I do on his FYX. He has a 9m but weighs only 10st compared to my 15st, so its pretty much the same result. He too can ride his in similar winds to me and also finds a similar limit he can hold the kite down in. So that makes me feel happier knowing Im not the only one who rides/has ridden in this kind of wind.

We are both of the opinion that the main line should be allowed to flag out further once the tophat has been pulled and allow the kite to fall more on the brake lines rather than rest on all 4 lines and cup the wind like a sail, which is what is happening atm.

I will now draft an email up and send it to Matt and see what he has to say about it and also what they can do to prevent the problem on future kites.

Registered Member
    Do you think a 5th line safety release would be better on foil depowers like i think the Flexifoil Sabres had?.

Instructor
    you should know that the reride system gives alot of downwind pull

if you have to pull the safety in strong winds, try and get the kite to the edge of the window first.
    (i realise you may not be able to if you are pulling the safety in a genuine emergency)
    once you've pulled the tophat, start winding one outside line around the bar asap; it will flag the kite out completely and let you regain controll.

you could modify the reride to let the centre lines go further, but you'll soon reach the point where the kite flips upside down and starts hovering in the air while pulling you along... this is much more dangerous.
    JN, Ozone, CKB

Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    but you'll soon reach the point where the kite flips upside down and starts hovering in the air while pulling you along... this is much more dangerous.
    No shit! Thats exactly the situation I got in by pulling the tophat safety and exactly my point that it needs improving.

i've considered running my ozone lei bar and lines and seeing how that flag out system works. obviouly the trim would need adjusting. but my brain tells me it should work.

afro is right. the only way is dump it on the safety at the edge of the window, let go of the bar and wind like fuck on the lower stearing line. BUT if you don't wind fast enough yourl have a looping powered kite on your hands.

lastly. if you do flag out the kite in 25+ knots the down wind bridle slams around and ties its self in knots. i've damaged a couple of bridles lines this way.
    In my bag of kite toys.
    12m Chrono
    13m edge
    10m cedge
    8m catalyst
    6m reo light

Plummet carbon Serpent landboard Granny tyres
    Plummet carbon mutant, coffin line light wind kiteboard,

Registered Member xtreme playboy's Avatar
    Dont think its a fake guys , coming from a paragliding background (12 yrs) thermals are a commom occurence (everyday) hence why we paraglide and study metrologogy and some days we say you can fly with a paper bag the thermals are that strong think of a commerical flight where you have experience turbulance and thats kicking 100s of ton alu so a little old kite is childs play what goes up must come down thermals are rising collums of warmer air than the surrounding but if you fall out of the rising air into the cooling decending air (sink) then it really gets crazy . The art is if you are a kiter to study some weather books cu- nimbs (thunder clouds) are the big boys of the thermal world be very aware gust fronts are always ahead of these babies and at this point anything that can fly should be tucked away . Spend a day on a paragliding /hangliding site one day and chat to the guys about the weather conditions and watch what happen s after all their lives depend on reading the weather .

it is ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme playboy View Post
    Dont think its a fake guys , coming from a paragliding background (12 yrs) thermals are a commom occurence (everyday) hence why we paraglide and study metrologogy and some days we say you can fly with a paper bag the thermals are that strong think of a commerical flight where you have experience turbulance and thats kicking 100s of ton alu so a little old kite is childs play what goes up must come down thermals are rising collums of warmer air than the surrounding but if you fall out of the rising air into the cooling decending air (sink) then it really gets crazy . The art is if you are a kiter to study some weather books cu- nimbs (thunder clouds) are the big boys of the thermal world be very aware gust fronts are always ahead of these babies and at this point anything that can fly should be tucked away . Spend a day on a paragliding /hangliding site one day and chat to the guys about the weather conditions and watch what happen s after all their lives depend on reading the weather .
    Very good advice there buddy
    i did gliding for a few years (the fibreglass/kevlar/carbon variety) and the things I learned about the weather have really done me a lot of favours since I started kiting. Knowing what is happening in the sky can save your life/limbs and it is also useful when trying to determine whether it's worth getting in the car or not.
    A while ago a few of us were watching the wind in the hope of an evening sesh. Nearly everyone gave up in the end as they thought the wind had died down at our spot. However, belts of altocumulus lenticularis told me something else. Me and a mate went and had a kick ass sesh! Since then a few folks have been asking me questions about clouds

Fake in the real vid he was flying a Blade 6.5m ; ) he..he..

Ha did not realise that was the bloke walking past top hat.... crazy stuff!

Talking Shite Since 1983 Atavar's Avatar
    I only come here for top hat nowadays.
    The Bag:
    Bullet 1.5m Blade3 3m Blade3 4.9m
    P.L comp buggy.

If theres one thing that gets in the way of getting over an obsessive guilt complex, its finding out everything really is your fault after all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast