Mar Menor, Spain - Kitecrowd Kite Forum

Thread: Mar Menor, Spain

CKB & Boarderline here's jonny!'s Avatar

Mar Menor, Spain

anyone been here for a kitesurf trip?

my dad lives over in Spain, near to this place now, he moved there recently from Almeria on the South Coast...

plannning on taking a holiday out there next year sometime, maybe easter or summer time..

from internet research Los Alacazares on the West side of the lagoon seems pretty sweet for it, just wondered if anyone has had experience kiting here, and where is good or not, where were allowed to kite or not?

would be good to hear from anyone whos been there or even lives there and kites out the on the mar menor lagoon or out on the sea for the waves

Flysurfer Speed 3 CE 15m
    CKB Boards
    Flexifoil Hadlow Freestyle

you can kite at mar menor and los alcazares however i've only kited at santa pola.

The wind isn't that reliable there but it's nice kiting in boardies when it does blow.

p.s. there's nae waves.. just chop

take a stinger suit in jelly season, ruddy jelly fish soup, never dip your head under with a mask on to have a look around, jelly nets go up around the public areas around june,
    big lake, massive area, all usable.

cheers guys, i know its a massive lake, and i know its all nice and flat/choppy, didnt hear anything about jellys though, ill ask dad to ask the locals or some of the peeps he knows down on the coast there..

funny thing is my onlymemory of any "wind" on the coast there was an epic southerlt, 25-30mph, we were down in a gravel car park near almeria flying a flexifoil super 8 (3 years ago)...saw a couple of guys out int he open sea on some hefty swell and little kites...
    which is styrange since the prevailing wind is apparently ENE

strange, guess itll be a case of take the stuff and hope the wind blows and hope we find an empty enough beach...would deffo go outside of holiday season, not tied bown with term times anymore, finished college, so probably between easter and summer wed head over there.

Flysurfer Speed 3 CE 15m
    CKB Boards
    Flexifoil Hadlow Freestyle

ATBShop, Scrub, Flysurfer Shop Rider Gregga's Avatar
    i thought it was priity shit - water seemed/felt stagnant, loads of jelly fish. The beach isnt a beach - just an area of dust which covers all your kites and makes them look awful. gusty wind and limited landing area.

but great bunch of local flyers down there when i went last year!

ATBShop.co.uk
    ScrubBoards.co.uk
    Flysurfer
    Team Rider

I have to admit that I would never go back, but thats partly due to 2 weeks of no wind, and the other long stay guys who had not seen wind for months, the jellys scare me silly, far too many and too big,
    but it will have good days, but maybe not in summer, winter should be good, hit and miss from reports I have heard over the years.

hmmm doesnt sound too promising, maybe ill try the beaches around there, we can get to some tasty beaches just south of the mar menor, aswell as North of it, so ill brave the ocean (ooooh scary)

i can get free holidays out there anyway with a car to get around so ill give it a go probably next year sometime, might aswell make use of the free hotel and catering

or just go for a summer holiday anyway, could do with a break

its good on its day although wind is fickle. los alcazares, playa paraiso, los nietos and over by the mas kite shop on la manga strip (super flat water) are all good spots depending on the direction. all wind directions are covered.

furthermore calblanque national park is meant to be good (gorgeous spot with waves) although with currents and small beach so not for beginners, but then, youre not a beginner!

theres also a great land board spot. big rock hard salt flat, Unknown road - Google Maps stay in the south part of it if the remote control airplanes are out.

spainkiters and traccionmurcia are good local forums. have met up with kiters from there before. i'll let you know next time im out. in the meantinme i wanna pick your beains about pevensey and cooden so clear your inbox

theres a link there to the landboard location. it known as lo pollo
    LF Havoc 14m 2007, Ocean Rodeo one 9m, Naish Sol 134cm. scrub vapour, peter lynn twister 4m,

Needing small repairs or UP FOR SALE caution spitfire III 12m complete. Ozone instinct Light XC 10m complete. Slingshotfuel 2006/7 17m Complete

summer can get thermal winds in afternoon. ive found april and may quite good.
    LF Havoc 14m 2007, Ocean Rodeo one 9m, Naish Sol 134cm. scrub vapour, peter lynn twister 4m,

Needing small repairs or UP FOR SALE caution spitfire III 12m complete. Ozone instinct Light XC 10m complete. Slingshotfuel 2006/7 17m Complete