What's the best upwind kiteboard - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the best upwind kiteboard

Registered Member

What's the best upwind kiteboard

A few years ago a windsurfer I know swears he's never seen anything go upwind faster than a kitesurfer. If he's right the kitesurfer wasn't even on today's top equipment. I can't explain it because the closest heading I get is 80 degrees. He could have been a speed kitesurfer.

Kitesurfing is somewhat limited by it's slow upwind capability. Windsurfers think this.

Does anyone know if a finless speed board is the way to go? I find a narrow tailed board with big fins isn't bad.

Best Kiteboarding Brand Rep ShapeShifter's Avatar
    Ocean Rodeo Mako.

Go check it out. My friend Tom rides one with waroo's and leave everyone behind when it comes to upwind ability.

He rides miles behind the rest upwind of them.

So what does make a good upwind board then ?

I'm guessing riders technique and kite power also comes into it aswell ?
    check out some of my filthy kite surfing pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39381399@N06/

Alot comes into what makes a board go upwind.

Concave helps, narrow boards help. the rocker and fins sizes are a factor.

Float too - high volume boards dont seem to go upwind as well as square railed snoboard types.

Flex - all factors are involved.

Board choice comes down to what you want from a board. Freestlyers go one way wake another and cruisers yet another.

My friend with the mako can be decribed asw a cruiser who kiteloops ! and as such his board goes upwind like no other I have had the pleasure to try.

there is a big theread on the mako on kiteforum.com

Registered Member
    Fin -less boards are for a skatey feel so probably not good for upwind. I have got to say the best board I have owned for keeping its edge and upwind capability is the Naish Thorn 08 and a good freestyle board to boot. There are so many boards about you will do well to narrow it down then search the forums for reviews. I must say though that technique is most important for upwind riding. There's a guy called Steve Wood that travels around, no matter what he rides he is upwind of any other rider, he's got twin tips, directionals, surfboards and mutants. Whatever he is on he is out there beyond everyone else, I reckon he just likes to stay out there and have a laugh at the kite crowding at the edge of the water.

Rogue Agent Shop Owner/Worker
    The best Upwind Kitesurfboards, if we are talking Twintips, are the Doors.
    The largest one is a massive 164-50 and with its parabolic outline it just locks in and points upwind like crazy.
    The only boards that come close to the Doors are the latest Course Race Directionals used in the Comps.
    Other Twintips can't compete against the Doors and you don't need concave, volume, large fins etc. to make a good upwind board. Most of it is in the Rocker, outline and size.
    B.t.w. I have used the Mako and it isn't in the same league as the Doors for going upwind but a little better than your average TT in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Voyager View Post
    The best Upwind Kitesurfboards, if we are talking Twintips, are the Doors.
    The largest one is a massive 164-50 and with its parabolic outline it just locks in and points upwind like crazy.
    The only boards that come close to the Doors are the latest Course Race Directionals used in the Comps.
    Other Twintips can't compete against the Doors and you don't need concave, volume, large fins etc. to make a good upwind board. Most of it is in the Rocker, outline and size.
    B.t.w. I have used the Mako and it isn't in the same league as the Doors for going upwind but a little better than your average TT in this area.
    Maybe - but you cant use a door in anything over 15 kt at most.

Large fins will slow you down, a narrow outline will give less resistance and drag, as will a parabolic outline. Rocker should be minimal - 3cm is good. Volume is definatly a no goer as this often makes em slide downwind.

There are so many variables involved in board design that it is hard to pin down one charateristic and why it is such. Rider being a big one too.

Itall depends what winds you ride too- you could not use a door in high winds for instance. if you use it in light wind - sure - no way anythig can come close.....but for all round use....

If itís up wind that you are after the best is the Hydrofoil
    www.carafino.com
    Depending on wind strength the Hydrofoil will go 10 to 15 deg higher than the best twintip. There is just no comparison.
    You only need enough wind your kite to fly and turn 6 to 8 mph and the hydrofoil will take you up wind and generate its own wind.
    Itís going down wind thatís tricky to prevent the hydrofoil overtaking your kite.
    As the wind pick up the angle up wind just gets more extreme.
    I will be at Hayling Island this weekend if any one wants to try.

I also have an Ocean rodeo mako which is the best of the rest

Spleene Session is great and not as big as the Door. Sven at Oceanside (Hunstanton) sells them and can demo you one.

North Wind

Quote Originally Posted by carafinouk View Post
    If itís up wind that you are after the best is the Hydrofoil
    www.carafino.com
    Depending on wind strength the Hydrofoil will go 10 to 15 deg higher than the best twintip. There is just no comparison.
    You only need enough wind your kite to fly and turn 6 to 8 mph and the hydrofoil will take you up wind and generate its own wind.
    Itís going down wind thatís tricky to prevent the hydrofoil overtaking your kite.
    As the wind pick up the angle up wind just gets more extreme.
    I will be at Hayling Island this weekend if any one wants to try.

I also have an Ocean rodeo mako which is the best of the rest
    So true - the foil presents the least friction and drag. Its gotta be the one !

Aside from the mako...

And the laughter from the shoreline will increase the wind sufficiently that everyone else can get out on their regular board.

North Wind

Registered Member
    Cheers North Wind and Carofinouk. The Ocean Rodeo looks like a good kiteboard I might give one of those a try.

Quote Originally Posted by skytiger View Post
    Cheers North Wind and Carofinouk. The Ocean Rodeo looks like a good kiteboard I might give one of those a try.
    The Mako wide might suit you more too.

richard beats every1 to shreds in going upwind on the hydrofoil, its just not funny.
    Flies: North Vegas '08 9mtr and 12mtr
    Rides: Nobile 666
    Wears: Pro Limit Kite Waist Pro and Xcel suit

kernow bys vykken! denziltrevaskis's Avatar
    surely if you're talking about all types of craft then the carafino will do it everytime. however, as some people have identified - shapeshifter for one - it really depends on the conditions

if there isn't much chop (surprisingly rolling swells don't matter) the flydoor will **** on anything in winds up to 15k or a bit more if you are a strong rider.

the super grippy fins on the door may slow you down, but they'll force you upwind like a *******

but then what if it's choppy? a flatter rocker will be bloody hard work and have you skipping out all over the place and losing ground. spesh if you start to get super powered. a little more rocker will make a mockery of the chop

then what about flex? tip flex seems to be the all round good guy - a nice stiff mid section to rail hard against and some flex in the tip to smooth out the chop and then cushion in the gusts

then you're on to outline. back to the door - great on it's day as we know. but then what about something more classic like the cabrinha imperial? the more swept in tips are again better at dealing with rougher seas giving you a much more comforatable ride. the front end is far less likely to catch and slow you down or trip you up

there's a constant difference between real world conditions and ideal conditions where something like the 'door' will excel. all the chop, bumps, gusts, waves, and so on need to be taken into account - which the board designers do
    lead bugle player in goonhavern village band

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast