Kiteboard Sizing - Kitecrowd Kite Forum

Thread: Kiteboard Sizing

Registered Member

Kiteboard Sizing

Hi All,
    Just getting some gear together and I'd like to know what size of kitesurfing board to get for a beginner. I'm 6'2, 13 stone, the wife is 5'4, 9 1/2 stone. Wondering if I decided to get 2 what sizes would you suggest? Possibly looking at a Best Sparks?
    Cheers
    Jim

kites n beer yeah baby skidmarks's Avatar
    some thing like 140/40 for yourself unsure about your wife but prob 132 or similar i stared on a 135 /40 and i was heavier than you

Hi jim, I'm a competant kitesurfer having struggled for a couple of years. Basically when you start you'll need a bigger board to start on. I'd think something round 140 x 40ish. You could go bigger but there are many boards bigger that are of little use. Modern bigger boards up to 145 would be ok but maybe a bit big and bouncy for your Wife. A 140 board would last you for a few seasons and then you'de probably go a tad smaller at 135-136. Your Wife would be ok on this size as well. She, as a learner could get away on a 138 but bigger is better I think. Certainly for a while.

Makewise, there are many excellent boards out there and certainly some bargains to be had on here. Maybe worth advertising on WANTED and see what you can pick uo to get you thro your noob period.
    Cock of the year 2012 and now 2013.

Kite instructor
    The best sparks are good board for the money and yes any around or abouve 40 wide is good to trot! Or ride!

It's all about the width and volume not so much the length anymore.

You are after something with abit of flex but not loads. If you can get to a local shop try some. The board can make all the difference get it wrong could take 6 months longer to learn. Get it right and you can be up riding after just a few sessions or even the first one.

oh and make sure you kite choice is good also have a 2001 c shape barge and you will struggle like you won't believe. Get something built for surf and or learning and you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Sorry to hijack, but it's relatively relevant to thread...

This has got me worried, recently bought a 2009 Naish Sol 131x39.5 off eBay to learn on, have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Edit: I'm 5'11" and 12St
    Flexifoil Ion2 10.5
    Ozone Access XT 8m
    HQ Matrixx 15m

Scrub Ejector
    Still wondering whether to hit the water

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but it's relatively relevant to thread...

This has got me worried, recently bought a 2009 Naish Sol 131x39.5 off eBay to learn on, have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Edit: I'm 5'11" and 12St
    Me thinks you may struggle a bit Tobias. In fact I'm pretty sure you're going to. 8 or 9stone, you'de maybe manage.

Registered Member
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. The kites I have bought so far are 12m Ozone Catalyst and a 8m Cabrinha Switchblade 3. To cover both of us (particularly the wife) I am looking at getting a 10m and a 6m perhaps? Or will the current 12m and 8m be okay?
    Cheers
    Jim

I was promised a jetpack The Geoff's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the characteristics of those kites (ie aspect ratio etc), but size-wise that's a good choice, it should cover the learner's wind range for both of you (15-23mph for the 12 and 18-28mph for the 8, all "ish" estimates!). We recently discovered a good guideline - for an all-round kitesurfing kite buy your weight in stones in square metres, so that's about right!

As for the board, as advised get something like a 140 and 135. You might find you use the smaller one as you progress, and the bigger one will always be useful for light wind days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Vinci
    Man when flying must stand free from the waist upwards so as to be able to balance himself as he does in a boat so that the centre of gravity in himself and in the machine may counterbalance each other, and be shifted as necessity demands for the changes of its centre of resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by coupey
    None of us can say that our version of kiting is more sensible than any other. ALL types of kiting are fundamentally pointless.

trick is to be more powered up when you start learning!
    2013 ozone c4's 9m, 11m
    2012 switch nitro v2 12, 10, 8m
    Speed 3 Deluxe 15m
    nobile t5
    brunotti youri pro
    ronix franks
    ckb lb65
    custom trampa
    5'8 newave play

http://switchkites.com/
    CLICK ME

Registered Member
    Possibly bigger than you are looking for but a shameless plug for the two boards I have for sale here...
    Kite Boards, Bag and Bar

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

^^^ Put some prices up.

@jim. Whatever you buy now will probably not be suitable in a year so 2nd hand is always a good option with your first board.