What kite, Iím a newbie? - ADVICE - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What kite, Iím a newbie? - ADVICE

New Registered Member
    hey people!!

Just a quick bit of advise... i've never done any kiting yet (apart from a stunt kite haha)

I can snowboard alright / surf a bit so hopefully i'll pick up that side it quickish.

I wanna get a big kite as I live on morecambe bay - I have big sands and lots of water so want a kite I can use for both, on water on sand....

If i've not done it before would I be stupid getting a big kite like the atom.. i'm guessing the Blade etc you shouldnt use on water... but would things like that size be too much to handle for a total newbie? I just wanna shell out my little money on a small kite i'll get bored with...

Any thoughts, would be really useful some help before I get stupid hehe...

thanks guys!!

J

grazed knees
    as a beginer my opinion is go for a beamer they are priced well enough to start with a two or three m then you can move out to a four or five when the need turns up , i have used most of them apart from the 7 meter and i like the way they can be flown hard but also fly nice and gentle when needed hope this helps ,
    ride it as if you stole it

what have i done

Hello All, I have wanted to do kite surfing for a while and finally jumped in with both feet. I bought a Flexifoil Atom 9M | RRD Light Air Package over the phone after viewing it online and being told for my weight (11st) would be ok. The kite being a 9m doesnt show on the wind range table i have seen on some sites and i have been following windguru for a few days. So here is the problem, the wind speed for my area Merseyside is a lot less than for my kite. have i got the right kite for a newbie/area.

Any help help will be appreciated ( even stick to kayaking)

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    KiteCrowd.com
    Advertisements

Talking Shite Since 1983 Atavar's Avatar
    Hey there stitch, welcome to the forum, you're in the right place.

What expiriance have you got kiting? If you are a total newbie then yes, you really have jumped right in. Try getting some kitesurf lessons or if you can't get hold of anyone have a go on someones land kite. There is more to flying a traction kite than just chucking it in the air.

With any kite it is best to start off in low wind just getting used to the feel of it anyway before trying it in proper winds.
    The Bag:
    Bullet 1.5m Blade3 3m Blade3 4.9m
    P.L comp buggy.

If theres one thing that gets in the way of getting over an obsessive guilt complex, its finding out everything really is your fault after all

Hi Atavar, I have no experiance at all. For the first time in my life i think i will find out a lot more before i open the box or is there something i can do to get going say with a friend

Mmmm, blimey, my best advice would be to find someone flying on a beach or field and ask very nicely if you can have a go. I wouldn't fly an inflateable kite as a starter kite as one bad crash and POP! expencive repair bill. The foils have no solid parts so if you crash, they are usually fine.
    Last edited by Atavar; 31st July 2008 at 20:51.
    The Bag:
    P.L comp buggy.

If theres one thing that gets in the way of getting over an obsessive guilt complex, its finding out everything really is your fault after all

I think you could get some better advice or some offers of help if you start up a new thread
    The Bag:
    P.L comp buggy.

Registered Member
    kiteboyza read your advice im new to this and it makes for good reeding thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bowe123 View Post
    kiteboyza read your advice im new to this and it makes for good reeding thanks
    thank you Bowe123
    Team Pansh North America

Quote Originally Posted by stitch View Post
    Hi Atavar, I have no experiance at all. For the first time in my life i think i will find out a lot more before i open the box or is there something i can do to get going say with a friend
    The best thing for you to do is leave it the box for now and get some lessons of a instructor our experienced kite surfer first a 9 mtr kite should have a wind range of about 15-30mph
    Land, Sea & Air
    Muntiey f-series 7/9/12
    Blank-force carbon 132x41
    Blade 6.6
    MBS PRO 90

...the one and only.
    lol

if i had read this post before i bought my first kite... i would have saved a set of clothes... oh and avoided getting concussion... bought a 4.7 rage (i weighed 11 stone at the time) and hit 30mph gusty wind (gusts of 45 the met said)...

apparently i did a front flip into face grind... looked good... cant remember what it felt like...and the pub we went into after didnt like the fact i got so much mud on their carpets/seats

Very usefull thread

Peace out
    Flexi Blade VIP 8.5
    Flexi Blade 6.5
    Flexi Blade 4.9
    Flexi Rage 4.7
    Flexi Sting 1.2
    Dot Matrix
    Prism 3D
    3 Flexi Stacker 6's
    Scrub Board
    and a buggy

Thanks for the advice everyone
    I'm a newbie and looking for my first kite at the moment.
    My mate has a 3M Beamer and a 5M Bullet which i have flown both of and they both seem pretty cool to me.

I'm looking for something around the 4M mark though, do you think that's a good idea?

Cheers
    - Wakemo
    Flexifoil Blade V 4.9m

Quote Originally Posted by Wakemo View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone
    I'm a newbie and looking for my first kite at the moment.
    My mate has a 3M Beamer and a 5M Bullet which i have flown both of and they both seem pretty cool to me.

I'm looking for something around the 4M mark though, do you think that's a good idea?

Cheers
    Welcome to the forum Enjoy!

As you have expirianced with your mates kites, the bigger they are the more power they produce, and different kites deliver it in different ways. HOw much do you weigh? A 4m is the higher side for learners depending on weight but not impossible. Just make sure the first few flys are in lovely low wind so you can get used to how it delivers the power.
    The Bag:
    P.L comp buggy.

I'm 12 and a half stone.
    Thanks for the advice
    Been looking at the HQ Beamer III looks a nice bit of kit, but hey what do i know lol.
    Thinking of getting it in 4M but will have to wait for pay day first :P lol
    - Wakemo
    Flexifoil Blade V 4.9m

New Registered Member

11.5 Kahoona or 12 Waroo

New kitesurfer here wanting to know which kite to buy? Will be my first kite purchased. What do you recommend and why?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast