some rangefinder help needed - Kitecrowd Kite Forum

Thread: some rangefinder help needed

old but still crispy mikeymustard's Avatar

some rangefinder help needed

has anyone got experience of rangefinder cameras? I'd like to get a cheap but decent one to play with.
    I don't want to go down the "toy" camera route, not really into that lomography stuff, but I'm not looking for a leica either, just something around the 20-30 mark? I'm thinking something maybe 1960's Japanese is the way to go, but I also like the look of the agfas and voigtlanders. Any help would be appreciated, i'm kinda drowning in kitsch here guys!

Sir
    I've got one of these. My father bought it in Germany when he was stationed there. Don't use it as much as I used too but took great B&W shots.

Voigtlander Vito B Vintage Camera /Skopar 1:3.5 /50 Lens Original Case Post inc | eBay
    and when people tell me what is ok and what is not , it should not be unexpected as I extend my middle right hand deedee's, and say " how would you like some lemon and lime with that advice mister!" C'mon!!
    Power is nothing without control

In my car
    Kites
    Buggy
    DILLIGAF
    Flask of coffee

What you'll find when using these cameras is you might need to get a light meter if you want good results.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KiteCrowd.com
    Advertisements

thanks for that - the vito is one of the models I'm looking at, I like that late 50's early 60's rounded look; as someone made in 1960 and sporting that self-same rounded look, I must have an affinity with them

I have an old fed2

Great camera and can be had fairly cheap on ebay

I decided to stay clear of the Feds and Zorkis for the moment - great looking bits of kit though. Was getting a bit paranoid about getting a fully-working machine so I opted for a Ricoh 500Rf fully CLA'd complete with new battery and a film in for 20! Oh, and a well cheap Agfa Optima just for a bit of fun........ And an even cheaper Agfa Silette to take apart and see what makes them tick.
    I can see a hobby coming on here

Registered Member
    look for a Voigtlander Bessa R, you can get it both with screw mount or m-mount (leica bayonet), it's gonna be more than 30 but definitely worth it if you want a cheap and decent rangefinder...
    10m Best Bularoo
    8m Starkites S - Bow
    13m Peter Lynn Venom 2
    8m Peter Lynn Synergy
    4m Ozone Samurai
    3m Ozone Flow
    Trampa Board
    Nobile 555 Board

Quote Originally Posted by Matita View Post
    look for a Voigtlander Bessa R, you can get it both with screw mount or m-mount (leica bayonet), it's gonna be more than 30 but definitely worth it if you want a cheap and decent rangefinder...
    it might be decent but it's certainly not cheap!

I've found what I think is the perfect camera for me: just like me it was produced in the 60's and just like me it's called a beauty, cough.

All works, including the meter (oh yeah, that's how sophisticated it is!), put some film in this morning to test it. Now all I need is to find where the review button is
    More info here in case anyone's interested