High Wind kite. - Kitecrowd Kite Forum

Thread: High Wind kite.

New Registered Member Site Supporter

High Wind kite.

Looking at the winds around hoylake over the coming weeks it seems they could hit up to 25-30knots!!!

Could even the 2.4m sting be too much in that wind. Would a 1.2 be more appropriate? or indeed any other recomendations?

The lines on the 2.4 snapped straight out the bag as per my other post - should i upgrade the 1.2 lines if i buy one?

Registered Member
    I've flown a 3,3 sting in sand rollin wind - 2.4 will be fine always take off at the edge of the window -hold the brakes on and walk round before take off, but my sting has strong 25 metre lines , not the pussy ones that come with these kites , they are not up to the job of high winds

A 2.4m could easily have you off your feet in high winds, so kite killers probably a good idea. And practicing letting go before its too late
    I've been dragged around by a 1.4m kite in 30 knot winds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KiteCrowd.com
    Advertisements

Registered Member
    my son in law got a rotation with a 2.4 sting ,riding a landboard-I mean it was quick but he did it but we fly fixed bridles on a roller pully attached to a climbing harness which you need to progress to or you will never hold on to the power

when I taught my soninlaw to fly I started him off harnessed up and I showed him how to take off from the edge of wind window with very little power , and he progressed so quick , purely because he could handle power well -just lean back and slide
    Last edited by slide333; 20th January 2017 at 11:06.

With some sort of quick release safety I hope!?

Registered Member
    thats what the brakes do -kill the power instantly and brings the kite down nicely controlled(this must be done downwind)
    when you say safety release , then yes they are great if you want to run down the beach chasing a rolling out of control kite and possibly damaged -

and you will need a stake where you bring the kite down downwind and hook the brakes on to it and put sand on the back edge of kite to hold it- I made a long stake 600mm ,I don't like to see those silly short stakes they don't bite in and easily get pulled out , and then ya chasing after ya kite - something to completely avoid

flying In high winds can be an eye opener -a little kite like that can create that much power!- yes it is surprizing and you need to fly all set up in light winds and progress to high winds when you are comfortable

but I don't like to see people flying in high winds not in a harness , flying free hand , the kite could easily just simply get pulled out of your hands - something to completely avoid
    Last edited by slide333; 8th February 2017 at 10:21.