New to Kiting, but which one ? - Kitecrowd Kite Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Kiting, but which one ?

New to Kiting, but which one ?

Hey guys n gals, im new to kiting and need a few pointers...

1. Should i buy a kite first?

2. Should i just buy everything?
    ie like 3 m, 7 m 12 m (boarding)

3. or a 5 m ?! ?!?!

any advice would b dope.

Alex!

2. Remove Advertisements
    KiteCrowd.com
    Advertisements

I think you should buy a kite first. You'd look rather silly waving your hands backwards and forwards without one

How old are you, how much do you weight, what experience have you got of flying kites. All these factors will affect what type and size of kite to get. As a beginner you should be looking at kites like the Buster, Rage, Sting, Bullet, Samurai, Little Devil probably around the 3m mark.

im 18, 5ft 8-9 :P , i weigh somet like 10.5 stone, ive had one session of kiting on a 3 meter riot.
    maybe i should get a depowerable kite? with a bar?

5. Remove Advertisements
    KiteCrowd.com
    Advertisements

Most people start with fixed bridle kites (not depower) as these are easier to fly and get the feel of how a kite and the wind feels. This is the recommended route tbh. Get something like a rage/sami/little devil type kite. Low aspect fixed bridle. Fly this for a couple of months then youll be more ready for bigger depower kites! Also get a go on a few before you buy, its alot of money to spend!

Chris

i learnt to fly on a Beamer 2.5m, great kites, but seen as you're bigger than me maybe the 3.6m would be more suited?????

EDIT : i would also recommend that you try different kites before you buy, as then you can get one that you like......
    Last edited by kite crazy; 1st November 2006 at 12:52. Reason: im editing because i didnt answer fully...

Newbies Ahoy!
    I learnt to fly on a 2.5 bullet coming upto this time last year, 12 stone, 6'4, and it had me off my feet quite a few times in the high winter winds... A years experience on, in the same conditions I think i'll be throwing it around with a lot more confidence and skill, and hopfully have control of when my feet leave the floor

If there is a local field/shop where people fly, head over and try and few to see what you get on with. 2.5/3/3.5 would be a good size to get used to for the higher winds due, and come spring, move onto something bigger once you are not going to nose dive a more expensive model.

The models that neilj said above are good, it's finding one you like the look of if nothing more
    In our bag so far...

Kites and stuff

Registered Member
    Have a look for kites around the 2 / 3m range to learn with. FOr a first kite dont go de-power! You need to get used to flying a fixed bridle first, and definately don't get a board / buggy yet, you need to get to grips with kites, the way they fly and how the wind works! What sort of budget do you have?

Have a look at HQ Beamer 2's if you dont want to spend much money, the 3.6 will probably be a good size for you. I dont really like them, but I had a 5.0 Beamer 2 and for learning, it was alot of fun! Ir you want to spend a bit more money look at Flexifoil Rage's, the 3.5 would be a good place to start + it offers more pull than the beamer!

As you progress you'll probably want something bigger for light winds, both ranges offer a good size range.

Go try some!

Hope this helps,

Brad.

i learnt to fly a firebee 2.3 when i was 10 and now i got a hq beamer 5.0 and im 15
    Ride,,,,,flexi buggy with wide axel and wide wheels
    Fly's,,,,,10m frenzy, 3.5 Ace, 2.3 firebee.

ZGW Team Rider - Foxy flexi_dan's Avatar
    wel i started on the big guns to start off with.

My first kite was a bullet 5.5. Scared the sh!t outa me on the first couple of outing but then i got used to it very quickly.

I have got some big airs from it (even tho people say the *don't* have lift). I would say get yourself a 4.5 bullet 05 or something sililar like a samurai to start off with. Get used to that and then decide if u want to get into buggying or boarding then progress from there.

Ride safe and have fun dude.

Dan
    Peter Lynn Venom II 10m & 16m
    Slingshot fuel 13m
    slingshot fuel 9m
    Takoon wook 9.5m
    Flexifoil Bullet 5.5
    Flexifoil Rage 3.5
    Ozone Sammy 2m
    comp 90 with rockstar pro's & talon 2's
    Comp 6
    Core 8
    ZGW Team Rider - Foxy
    Sponsered by:

Old enough to know better SandMonster's Avatar
    Book yourself a lesson with your local BPKA instructor - you should get a feel for what's what with kites and then go meet up with your local flyers and blag a go of as many kites as you can - then you can decide based on some experience rather than on opinions of other people - what suits one person may not suit you.

Above all - have fun

hi mate as said above you need to check out all kite i started out on a 4.4 fury ok then went on to a 3m sami love it to bits then a 7m bullet dident like then a 6m sami loves it then my 10m frenzy
    just tri out loads and see what you like
    hope this helps

Kiters like to be blown Plugus Maximus's Avatar
    I started with a 4.9m Blade II.

Little kites maybe safer if you're an idiot otherwise buy a 4-5 metre kite and you'll not grow out of it and it will be the most useful for most UK conditions .... too many days will be wasted if you have only a 2-3m kite as it just won't give you the grin factor. Be careful with a bigger kite though and my advice is fly with others that know what they're doing. They'll give you tips and you can learn so much by watching.
    Bowing out gracefully ...

I see you live in Trowbridge why not pop into TAL your local kite shop and talk to Nath about which kite to get, very friendly and helpful.
    You should also pop up westbury white horse on a weekend when its windy and there will usually be a few of us out there boarding and a few buggys and we've got quite a selection of kites for you to try if you can handle them.
    see you up the horse sometime
    Dan

WOW, lots of info guys, gr8 1
    I just had my self a go on a 2m blade mk2 this lunchtime, very sweet idd!
    Well, i will be looking at second hand, because i reckon buying new is a bit of a waste.
    well, about 200 quid maybe ?
    I cant come up the horse this weekend, gotta go see family, but maybe next week if its windy
    IVe been to TAL, but i havn't spoke to Nath, some youngish lad, quite knowledgleable, just wanted to get differant opinions b4 i buy into, ya know.
    Il let you guys know, what i get after all .

Peace

Alex!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast